Thursday, February 26, 2009

Havregryns Tekakor (Baking Powder Version)


I had an appointment with my Danish dentist this week and before he started he asked me if I needed anaesthetics or not. I said: Of course I do.

Then Marc said with a twinkle in his blue eyes, "Alright - but I have to ask because Scandinavians, especially Norwegians, almost never require anaesthetics."

Anyhow this made me think that Norwegians must have a very high pain threshold and perhaps the rest of us with lower pain thresholds should make sure we take it with a grain of salt when a Norwegian says to us: "It doesn't hurt that much. I wouldn't worry about it!"

Today Ronny made some Havregryns Tekakors which is a kind of an oatmeal quick bread when we discovered we were out of bread and didn't have any yeast either. This became necessary because yesterday we made some Croque Madame after I had browsed through Elra's Cooking and saw her yummy looking creations, and Ronny wanted to eat some more.

Anyhow here it is. Nothing special, but very easy to make when you need a quick fix of bread and delicously crunchy when you make it either into a Croque Madame. They also make wonderful grilled cheese & ham sandwiches and are lovely just dipped in some pure sweet honey.

Havregryns Tekakor


Ingredients


2 dl Oatmeal


2 dl Flour


2 Tbsps Baking Powder


1 Tsp Salt


1/2 dl Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or any good quality vegetable oil you have lying around)


2 dl Whole Milk (I guess you can use skim milk if you really want)


Step 1: Preheat oven to 225 C.


Step 2: Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.


Step 3: Add oil and milk and knead into a dough.


Step 4: Separate the dough into two parts and roll flat until they are 1 cm thick.


Step 5: Put these on oven paper and bake them in the oven for 15 minutes.


Note: If you want nicer looking ones you can shape them into smaller sizes or whatever you wish to do with them. The important thing is to make sure they are only 1 cm in thickness.

2 comments:

Siri said...

This looks super easy and very satisfying- especially with a little honey.

I'd never heard anything about a high Norwegian pain tolerance. From first hand experience, my Norwegian has a very low pain tolerance and cringes at the idea of blood, needles, and incisions. In fact, he's got a sore throat now and is practically on his death bed, poor guy.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Ronny has a very low threshold for pain tolerance too. I live in an area with lots of pensioners from Scandinavia and am guessing that the dentist is talking about an entirely different generation of Scandinavians. ;)