Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Kimchi Inspired Radish Salad


Today I was browsing the web when I saw this wonderful Cubed Radish Kimchi. I had just purchased a few smallish radishes from the grocer downstairs. I've made it a habit to check their vegetable/fruit section from time to time since they seem to have fresher produce. They also always have better winter squash.

Anyhow, as much as I love cubed radish Kimchi, I didn't have all the ingredients so I made a salad inspired by this lovely Korean pickle.

Let me warn you that this salad is not for those who are squeamish about chili or garlic because it goes heavy on these ingredients and not only will you taste its intense flavors - other people will probably notice it too - so don't eat this if you're planning to go out and socialize!

Ingredients

1.5 - 2 Cups Cubed Radishes

A Small Piece of Leek (Sliced Very Finely)

1 Filet Anchovy (Chopped)

2 Tbsp Dark Sesame Oil

Coarse Salt

Chili (as much as you dare - if you can get the Korean variety it will look a lot better and taste better)

1 Clove Garlic (Crushed)

1 Small Piece of Ginger (Grated)

A Pinch of Sugar

Toasted White Sesame Seeds



Step 1: In a glass bowl, put some cool water and a handful of salt to create a salt brine.

Step 2: Put the cubed radishes into the water and let them soak for 20 minutes.

Step 3: In the mean time mix the sugar, anchovy, leeks, chili, ginger, garlic, sesame seed oil in a bowl.

Step 4: After 20 minutes, drain the radishes and mix with the mixture in Step 3. Taste and if needed add more salt.

Step 5: Toast some sesame seeds and sprinkle over the salad.

2 comments:

Dewi said...

What a coincidence I was just nibbling some kimchie last night, but it was store bought. Radish salad sounds so refreshing. I never made it, but I should try it one day.

Btw, I'm still looking for the biscotti recipe, I don't remember which recipe it was. I'll let you know once I found it, k?
Cheers,
Elra

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Thanks Elra - appreciate it very much. :)