Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oatmeal Pancakes


I've always wanted to try one of Lori's recipes from Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness, but never really got around to it for a dozen reasons. However, this morning I was looking for a good pancake recipe and I found it right on her blog. Lori wrote that these were the best pancakes she'd ever had and that was enough to convince me to go through the extra hassle of pulverizing oatmeal.

This recipe for Oatmeal Pancakes comes from the book 'King Arthur- The All Purpose Baking Cookbook, Countryman' and you can see the full details for this in her post here.

Even though she wrote that the 'mix' would keep for 2 weeks at room temperatures, I still thought it was way too much for two people so I made half a batch of the original recipe. The recipe I've written below is the half recipe version.

Oatmeal Pancake Mix - From King Arthur- The All Purpose Baking Cookbook, Countryman

1 3/4 Cup Oats
2 1/2 Cup AP Flour
1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tbsp Salt
1/2 Tbsp Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil (I used sunflower oil)

Step 1: Put the oats in a food processor and pulverize them.

Step 2: Mix in the dry ingredients and mix in the oil.

Step 3: If you grab some of it and you can make dry balls of them in your palm, it's about right. Otherwise you need to add more oil.

Step 4: Take 1 Cup of this mixture and mix it with 1 egg and 1 Cup buttermilk (or a mixture of yogurt and milk).

Step 5: Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and make your pancakes!

I've really simplified this so if you want to read Lori's post, click here.

*The mix is supposed to keep at room temperatures for 2 weeks, though I'm not sure I'd do this in tropical climate. You can also keep it in the freezer or refrigerator in an air tight tupperware. 1 Cup of the mix + 1 Cup buttermilk & 1 egg makes 4 medium sized pancakes.

14 comments:

Dewi said...

Such delicious pancake is a good way to start the day!

NKP said...

Yum! KAF has never steered me wrong.

Joanne said...

I've never seen pancakes prepared this way but they sound delicious! Have to give them a shot.

Jhonny walker said...

you do have the bestest pancake recipes in blogdom :) and I almost always try them.

The semolina I have used is coarser than flour. But the flour should work just as well..with only less texture. But by all means, Indian groceries will surely carry this one.

your profile pic is super sexy :)

Taste of Beirut said...

Great recipe Murasaki! I need to use oatmeal more often! for some reason, it just accumulates dust in my pantry!
Thanks for the wonderful tips on cooking taro. I was salivating reading them! I also love that they can be enjoyed simply. That's the best way!

Lori said...

So what did you think of them. I am always nervous when someone tries something that I highly recommend. So far though I have to say that KA is one of my favorite cookbooks.

They look gorgeous!

You are very sweet. I wish you lived close I would love to meet you someday.

Sunshinemom said...

My first time here and am glad to see such a healthy recipe:).

Dorte said...

Sounds interesting to use oats in the pancakes. I thought you could buy the oats as flour - would that do?

PS: I do not know the person you asked me about, sorry :)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Lori: I still have enough to make one more batch in the tupperware. I ran out of maple syrup. =P

Jhonny Walker: I didn't make it to the grocer but I'll try to get some of the coarser grained semolina next time I'm there. Thing is they keep Spanish times so I need to go in before 1pm or after 5pm and they're not always open at 5.

Dorte: Yes, it seems there is more than one Dorte from Denmark in this area! Oatmeal flour should work. :)

Esme said...

These pancakes look great-I throw in whole oats into my pancakes-I have never thought of pulverizing the oats. I also like adding banannas.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Esme: Whole oats sounds like a great idea. :)

Lori said...

How weird that google dropped your blog following.

I wanted to tell you because I admire your sourdough all the time that I actually am making some starter. I was on second day until my husband broke a bowl and dropped shard of glass in the mixture. So day one again. What do you do with your sour dough in the summer when you dont feel like baking?

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Lori: The starter usually lives inside my refrigerator and only needs to be fed once a week.

If you're baking daily, I'd just leave it out, but during the summer when you don't do much baking just keep it in there and throw out half of it and feed it 1/2 cup whole wheat flour + 1/2 cup luke warm water (I use Brita water)...once a week.

I've left it in there for two weeks sometimes and the yeast survived, but I try to stick to the weekly feeding schedule.

Michelle said...

I want to try this pancake someday ..
yum..