Friday, April 27, 2012

Kurdish Rice Flour Cookies (Gluten Free)



I saw some fascinating rice flour cookies in Taste of Beirut some time ago and had been wanting to make them.  I, however, have the distinction of being a food blogger and not owning even one cookie cutter.  Am I slacking off?  Maybe.

Anyway, last year, Ann Low of Anncoo Journal sent me a set of Mooncake molds and I thought that I might be able to use these to cut the cookies.  In fact, when I read all the comments under the recipe, Joumana (Taste of Beirut) said that she used mooncake molds she bought at China town herself.  This was just great.

I decided to go ahead and make the beautiful cookies.

I didn't have rose water so I used orange flower water instead.  Other than that, I followed the recipe to a tee, and the cookies didn't disappoint.  They were very delicately textured and flavored and just lovely.  What a nice way to spend the afternoon!

Kurdish Rice Flour Cookies - Taste of Beirut

Ingredients

300g Rice Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
130 g Sugar
1 Egg
125g Melted Butter
2 Tsp Orange Flower Water
1 Tsp Cardamom

Step 1:  Mix the rice flour and baking powder in a medium sized bowl.

Step 2:  Beat the sugar and butter in a big bowl, then add the egg and orange flower water and beat until fluffy.

Step 3:  Add the rice flour slowly, beating it slowly and add incoporate the cardamom at the very end.

Step 4:  Wrap the dough in plastic and keep in the refrigerator overnight.

Step 5:  Flour the board with corn starch and flour your rolling pin as well as the dough can get sticky.

Step 6:  The dough should be around 5 mm in thickness.

Step 7:  Use the mooncake mold to cut the cookies and place them on oven paper.

Step 8:  Bake for 15 minutes at 160C.  The cookies should be done but still pale.

Please do go to Taste of Beirut to see the original recipe and the very interesting post about it. 




7 comments:

Amelia said...

Hi Murasaki, your rice cookies look so cute and beautiful. The recipe look simple but I bet it taste good too.

Have a beautiful weekend. Regards

Dewi said...

Envious of your cookie mold, it looks so pretty :) Love this rice cake sounding.

My Little Space said...

Hi Murasaki, so sorry for missing out for quite a while. The site is running slow. I need time to catch up with everyone of you. Anyway, this cookies sound amazing. I want to try it too. Bookmarked it already. So, thank you so much for sharing it.
Hope you're having a great week ahead, dear.
Blessings
Kristy
p/s to your question on my steamed buns! I am using braised jicama & carrot for the bun fillings.

Lori said...

So pretty. I love looking at them. I will take a few in white, a few in pink and a few in Spring green to go with tea on a pretty Spring day- for me and some guests.

Lovely.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Amelia: So very nice of you to say so. I got the idea from Taste of Beirut and I love it.

Dewi: I am very lucky Ann Low sent me those mooncake molds!

My Little Space: Thank you for letting me know what you put in those delicious looking buns!

Lori: Missed you a lot! :)

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

absolutely awesome..looks so pretty n tasty
Tasty Appetite

Anonymous said...

I did not know the Kurds have a tradition of making cookies with rice flour. They look light and airy. =)