Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dutch Baby Pancakes with Orange Cointreau Sauce




To those of you unfamiliar with US English: No, I have not turned into a cannibal and made pancakes with Dutch babies. I am not sure what these are called in Europe but they are commonly referred to as 'Dutch Baby Pancakes' in the US.

I was going to make the recipe from CHOW when my friend Christina Busch gave me a simpler alternative.

Christina squeezes fresh lemon over the Dutch Baby Pancakes to deflate them and recommends serving them with peaches. I have served mine with an orange sauce made from fresh Spanish oranges.

Dutch Baby Pancakes - Christina Busch

Ingredients - The Pancake

1 Cup Flour

1 Cup Whole Milk

4 Eggs

100 g Unsalted Butter

Ingredients - The Sauce

3 Oranges (peeled, sliced and seeded)

1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

60 g Unsalted Butter

2 Tbsp Cointreau

Step 1: Preheat oven to 220C or 425F.

Step 2: While it's preheating beat the eggs and then pour in the milk.

Step 3: Mix the sifted flour into the mixture and let it sit.

Step 4: Once the oven is preheated put your pan into the oven and let it heat for at least 5 minutes.

Step 5: Melt the butter in the pan and then add the batter and put it back in the oven for around 20 minutes. If it's still pasty white after 20 minutes, leave it in for a few more minutes, no more. Once it starts browning it goes fast!

Step 6: While the pancake is baking, make the orange sauce. Melt the butter in a sauce pan and then add the brown sugar and wait until bubbly.

Step 7: Add the orange slice and sprinkle Cointreau over them and simmer until the pancake is ready occasionally turning the orange slices in the pan carefully so as not to break them.

Step 8: Pour the orange sauce over your pancake and serve.

10 comments:

Jhonny walker said...

drooly and drippy and I want this :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, the orange sauce sounds wonderful. I like Dutch baby pancakes with freshly-squeezed lemon and powdered sugar, too.

By the way, thanks for your comments on Outside Oslo. Yes, making lefse is a lot of work. But it's such a great tradition to carry on in my family, and I've really enjoyed being able to make it with my mom and grandma. For me, it's more for the experience and the memories than anything else. If I were just making it to get some tasty lefse, it would feel like a chore!

Siri said...

I think they're just called "Panakuchen". I could be wrong. Guess who has a bottle of Cointreau sitting in her cabinet for a rainy day?

Lori said...

I made a Dutch baby on Sunday for the first time. I was going to post it later this week. Murasaki- great minds think alike. Although mine did not have this fabulous sauce over top. It looks sensational. I never knew how good they were.

taste traveller said...

The idea of someone thinking of making pancakes out of dutch babies made me laugh. I've never heard of these, but they seem easy & they look great, especially with the oranges.

Nihal said...

Only because of its lovely name, I would like to give it a try tho. Myself, lover a french type crépes in general:)
Thanks for sharing dutch baby's..

Dewi said...

Delicious pancake for the grown up :)

Jana said...

looks soooo yummy!
have a great summer...the summer fruits and veggies inspire me to try new things in the kitchen:)

Jhonny walker said...

you have been making some awesome deserts here. How come they don't show up in my updates?? I assumed you left blogdom!

I am glad you haven't. This is something I am surely gonna try. Fruity deserts are my first love :) After chocolate that is!

Joy Calipes-Felizardo said...

Hi bumped into your blog while looking for cointreau orange sauce, now loving your blog! Will be following you now! Hope you do the same with mine:
www.gastronomybyjoy.com