Saturday, April 18, 2009

Roasted Aubergine Sandwich Spread


After pigging out on chocolate chip cookies yesterday we took it easy for lunch and had a calcium rich, (reasonably) low calorie brunch. On our little black plates you see 40 g cured Spanish cow's milk cheese, the Aubergine Sandwich Spread and slices of home made sourdough bread with hummus on them. Remember to leave some bread for your Aubergine Sandwich Spread because it's good as it is but better on home made sourdough bread according to Ronny.

Roasted Aubergine Sandwich Spread

Part I

Ingredients for the Aubergine Dressing

3 Medium Aubergines (I used 1 large & 1 small)

2 Large Garlic Cloves

2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or to taste)

Juice of 1/4 Lemon (or to taste)

Black Pepper (to taste)

Red Chili Powder (to taste)

Salt (to taste)

Step 1: Roast the aubergines and garlic cloves with their skin intact in an oven preheated to 210 C for 40 - 60 minutes. Turn them around 1 - 2 times to make sure the skin is nice and burnt all around to give them a smokier flavor.

Step 2: Peel the aubergines and garlic cloves on top of a chopping board without burning your fingers and chop them up a bit and put them into your food processor.

Step 3: Add all the other ingredients and turn the food processor on until it's all nice and creamy. Make adjustments with the flavoring ingredients.

Part II

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Onions

1 Tomato (diced)

1/4 Cucumber (diced into little cubes)

Aubergine Dressing (use enough to make a nice spread)

Just mix all of the above together (manually) and you have a nice vegetarian sandwich spread (unless you're Vegan). You can put in other things too if they're lying around your refrigerator or are ripe on your vines in the garden. It's pretty versatile and satisfying when you're on a restricted diet.

Note: If you have a barbecue grill - the aubergine dressing will taste better if you can grill them black over some coals but this wasn't an option for me.

8 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

Well hot damn! I just went to farmers market and passed up on all the eggplants because I didn't have a great recipe in my head. shoulda come here first!

Lori said...

That looks so tastey. I love eggplant, cant get enough in the summer, terrines, baba ganoush, just roasted... all of it so delcious. Slurp.

NKP said...

Eggplant are my favourite veg/fruit for grilling. I love the texture and flavour. Sounds excellent on a sourdough.. but, of course, everything is better on a sourdough!

Katie said...

YUM that looks so tasty! I love spreads.

Dorte said...

That looks really nice. I am going to try it ...

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Steamykitchen: Eggplants are *yum*. My favorite these days is Ronny's moussaka made with zucchini & eggplants (no potatoes!).

Lori: I can tell you're an eggplant lower. This spread as you may have guessed is a bastardized baba ganoush. ;)

Natashya: Oh yes - bringing home made sourdough bread into our lives is one of the best things we've done in the past few years!

Katie: :)

Dorte: I'm getting most of my local information about Costa del Sol from your blog these days. What would I do without your blog?

görel said...

This looks and sounds delicious, and I do happen to have a couple of aubergines in the fridge! Thanks for this recipe!

Justin said...

this is another thing I never try at home, even though I love roasted eggplants. looks yummy.