Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sourdough Bread Diary Day 3

After worrying that my starter might overflow and create a cascading trail of yeast down my bookshelf while I was sleeping I woke-up to this:




There was about 1 cm of the brownish liquid which had been a pretty thin line the day before, and a foamy layer had appeared on top of this that looked like this:

I'm going to feed it again at 17:00/18:00 today but I'm going to go to Carrefour to buy a larger glass container first so that I stop worrying about it while I sleep. Last night it must have been worries about this that made me have this rather strange dream:

There were 5 cats on a queen sized bed in one of the houses I used to live in, but when I started to count the cats they had doubled in number and there seemed to be 10. The thing is when I looked again to make sure there were even more cats...like 20!

OK, I'm weird. But what else is new?

Note: First Feeding (1/2 cup water & 1/2 cup all purpose flour), Second Feeding (1/2 cup water & 1/2 cup whole wheat flour).

5 comments:

Trish said...

I love how you are keeping a diary on your starter. You are so 'scientific'...something which we KNOW that I am NOT! The starter I have came with instructions that was pretty much 'hands off' so I don't know if it is right or not but we shall see when I scoop out a cup of it to make bread tonight. Good job on keeping us all informed. Hmmmmm...nightmares?! Grin..yes, go get that larger container so you have a good night's sleep.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Trish: So what did your starter look like when it was ready? I'm not too clear on this yet and I hope someone tells me when I post my photographs and it's done!

Ilva said...

Put the container in the bathtub during the night!

NKP said...

Looks very lively! You must be doing something right!
I agree with Ilva, put it somewhere wehere you don't have to worry about it at night.
(The same reason I tie the iron cord in a knot around it when we leave the house..)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Natashya: They were kind of quiet after a night of partying today so I hope they're up for more action tonight after lazing around for 24 hours!

Iron cord in a knot? LOL