Thursday, July 14, 2011

Blue Poppy Seed Sourdough Dinner Buns


I feed my starter once a week, and when I do this I pour everything into a plastic bowl and add 1 cup AP flour and 1 cup water and let it proof. This used to take more than 10 hours, but these days my starter is ready in a few hours.

When my starter is ready, I put half of it inside its container and feed it with 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup water. I use the rest of it to bake bread.

Now, this week I wanted something different. I wanted something different but not difficult or complicated since I had been dealing with some annoying things related to my water purifier for two days.

So I just made bread according to S. J. Ross's recipe adding around 1 Cup spelt flour into the mix and divided the dough up into 16 parts and topped them off with blue poppy seed.

The result was warm wholesome sourdough buns that tasted great with garlic parsley butter.

Here's the recipe.

Blue Poppy Seed Sourdough Dinner Buns

Ingredients

2 Cups Sponge
1 Cup Spelt Flour
2 Cups AP Flour*
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 Tsp Brown Sugar
2 Tsp Coarse Spanish Sea Salt
1 Tbsp Blue Poppy Seeds

*Approximate amount. Depending on the state of your sponge and other conditions, you may need more or less.

Step 1: Add the spelt flour to the sponge and mix it.

Step 2: Add the sugar and oil and mix some more.

Step 3: Add the rest of the flour and knead it until it is more or less mixed.

Step 4: Let it rest for 30 minutes and then knead it around 100 times.

Step 5: Let it rest for another 30 minutes and then knead it around 100 times.

Step 6: Let it rest for another 30 minutes and then knead it around 100 times.

Step 7: Let the dough rest until it has risen to around twice its original size. If you create an indentation with your finger and it does not spring back your bread is risen.

Step 8: Divide the dough into 4. Roll these into thick logs and then divide these into 4 again. This will give you 16 buns.

Step 9: Cover your baking tray with oven paper and put some coarse corn flour on it.

Step 10: Place the balls of buns on the paper and cover with a kitchen cloth and let them rise for 1-2 hours.

Step 11: When they have risen, dampen the tops of the buns with luke warm water and sprinkle blue poppy seeds on them.

Step 12: Put a steaming tray of boiling water on the bottom of the oven and put the oven tray in place. Close the oven and turn it on. The temperature should be set to 175C (350F).

Step 13: Bake for around 30 minutes.

Step 14: Serve warm with dinner!


6 comments:

Jana said...

they look sooooo yummy!!!
you are right: Sardinian cuiseine is amazing, I will post soon soemthing about it too:-)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Jana: I'll be looking forward to your post on Sardinian cuisine. :)

Homer said...

I'm going to make bread soon!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Homer: I'll be looking forward to seeing the results on your blog!

Jana said...

domo arigato for stopping by again today....the cheese plate decoration was made by me, I added the basil and rosmarin as they fit well the taste of the Italian cheeses:-)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Jana: Excellent idea. I love the idea of eating fresh herbs with cheese!