Saturday, November 21, 2009

Brioche


I often have a craving for brioche when Christmas is near, and this year, I decided to make my own because in my part of Spain, bread isn't all that great.

I'm not really a baker and have never made Brioche before, so I looked for something simple and easy and here it was at La Tartine Gourmande.

I had to add some flour to get the dough feeling right, but this is pretty normal when making bread or pastry. You just have to use your common sense and add enough flour until the dough isn't a sticky mess.

Her instructions are very straight forward and she has helpful photographs that reassure you you're on the right track if you're making this for the first time.

I think I needed to lower the temperature a bit or bake it for a slightly shorter period of time, as the top of the brioche came out slightly browner than it should have been. Aside from this, the crust was nice and flaky and the inside was buttery and soft. I have to say I was pleased with the results.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats a beautiful loaf of Brioche M...you did a GREAT Job ...like a real pro !

Palidor said...

Mm, that looks great! I've never had a brioche before, but it looks fantastic so it must be really tasty.

ann low said...

I really think you're a great baker. All the breads you did look so perfect :D

Trish said...

Hey, well done! That is a terrific looking Brioche! Your home must have smelled just wonderful today...from beginning to end! Yummers!

Ilva said...

I think we can safely say that you are becoming a baker! That brioche looks perfect!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Its a great thing that you can bake.The brioche sounds perfect..

Karine said...

Hey, you did a great job with your brioche :)

Dewi said...

My favorite delicious and rich bread.

Anonymous said...

"I'm not really a baker".

Well aren't you just the modest one.

I've been meaning to try brioche for a long time too. If I had the little fluted forms, I would make the individual ones, maybe with some dark chocolate in the middle. I'm a huge challah lover and baker, and the two really are quite similar. You were asking for a sweet bread recipe of some sort. I'll send you my challah one, if you want. Not sure exactly what you had in mind...

Lori said...

Beautiful brioche. This is a nice treat for breakfast, especially for Frech toast.

Jamie said...

This is your first ever brioche? My but it is perfect! Just beautiful! You have inspired me to try - I've never made brioche either!

Dorte said...

Looks like it turned out very nice ... I don't think I ever tried a brioche :-)

Deeba PAB said...

I've never made a brioche, but I like the sound of yours. I'd prefer a browner crust like yours has... Well done!

NKP said...

Mmm, soft, buttery brioche - love it!

Anonymous said...

Hey there friend.. I'm sorry I've been so behind and missing your posts, I was dealing with a few bullies, in the end I had to move my domain away from the three blogzillas.... my new site is www.sospiffy.com = )

Anyhoo... you seem to be perfect at making breads, I have not been able to successfully make bread, I'm not sure if it is the yeast I buy here in Japan? Or my bad skills...

Jhonny walker said...

I have never heard of a brioche before...but this looks fantastic..and must must be super tasty!

About the chicken..It will work very well with lots of lime too!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Jhonny Walker: Thanks - that's nice to know. I think I might try your recipe with lime or lemon juice!

Lori said...

Hope all is well with you Murasaki. I havent seen a post or a comment in a while.Take care.

SteamyKitchen said...

I just made a chocolate ganache brioche....SOOOO DAMN GOOOOOOOD! So much for my diet, eh?

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Jaden: We surely are on the same page...lol